The Parish Council administers three allotment sites with up to 87 allotments available. A traditional allotment garden is 250 sq.m. (10 rods or poles) which was the area deemed necessary to grow enough produce to feed a family for a year. Over the years, as allotment gardening became more of a leisure activity, rather than a necessity, plots have been sub-divided to enable more people to participate in this enjoyable activity. The size of the plots available on our sites now vary from 65 sq.m to 287 sq.m.
The three allotment sites administered by the Parish Council are at:
Cherry Orton Road
A fenced site with water and parking area. There are 32 plots varying in size from 65 sq.m. to 287 sq.m.
A fenced site with water and a parking area. There are 34 plots varying in size from 84 sq.m. to 266 sq.m.
The oldest of our allotment sites situated on part of an area of Common land. An unfenced site with water. There are presently 13 plots (with ability to expand to 21 plots should demand warrant). The plots vary in size from 69 sq.m. to 250 sq.m.
At the Parish Council meeting on 16 March 2016 the following motion regarding bonfires was resolved:
- Bonfires are only be permitted between 1st October and 31st March between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm on the allotment sites at Gostwick and Cherry Orton Road.
- All bonfires must be supervised at all times.
- All bonfires must be self-regulated by allotment tenants and all burning carried out within the confines of an incinerator which has firstly been approved by the Parish Council Allotment Manager.
- Only allotment garden waste may be burnt in the incinerator.
- Consideration must also be given to neighbouring properties by ensuring that an excess amount of bonfires do not take place on any one day.
- All bonfire/s must be extinguished before the tenant leaves the site.
- Any complaints regarding bonfires, reported to the Parish Council, will be monitored and these rules will be subject to review.
Below is a picture of the type of incinerator which the Parish Council has approved for use on the allotment sites.
Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries relating to this matter.
Alison Brown Clerk to Orton Waterville Parish Council Tel: 01733 346483 firstname.lastname@example.org
|Allotment Tenancy Agreement Nov 2015||Allotment Rents 2015-17||Allotment Manager Job Description|
|Much information about allotment gardening is given on the website of the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners – HERE|
For information about the availability of allotment plots please contact the allotments manager – who is:
Tel: 01733 346483